STI SHORT THROW SHIFTER
(Part No. C1010AG001 [5M/T])
A short throw shifter reduces the throw distance between gears. Resulting shifts are crisper and quicker, which enhances the fun of driving.
The installation involves work both in the cabin and underneath the car.
Prior to beginning disassembly, disconnect the battery.
PREPARE THE INTERIOR
To remove the console front panel and boot, the console box has to be removed.
Remove the boot around the parking brake.
1. Then remove the console box by unscrewing the two bolts in the console and a screw by the hand brake. Pop off the clip at the front.
Take off the gear–shift knob.
2. Remove the clamp holding the boot and insulator assembly, then the two bolts holding the assembly. Remove the assembly to reveal the plate below.
3. Take off the harness clamp from the plate, then remove the plate. The mechanism is visible below.
UNDER THE CAR — REMOVE THE SHIFTER
The Impreza WRX Service Manual suggests removing the rear exhaust pipe and muffler to improve access to the shifter.
Unplug the wiring harness.
4. For access to the shifter, remove the heat shield.
5. Remove the stay from the transmission bracket.
6. Remove the rod from the joint.
7. Disconnect the cushion.
8. Extract the spring pin and remove the joint.
9. Remove the shifter either from below or lower the vehicle and remove it from inside.
INSTALL NEW SHIFTER
Invert the removal process.
Tightening torque – under the car
• Cushion rubber to vehicle body – 13.3 lb–ft
• The rod to the joint – 13.3 lb–ft (new self–locking nut)
• The stay to the transmission bracket – 13.3 lb–ft (new self–locking nut)
Tightening torque – in the cabin
• The plate assembly to vehicle body – 13.3 lb–ft