Subaru Tecnica International Inc. Introduces Impreza R205
Available only in Japan, the Impreza WRX STI R205 is the top performance WRX STI model. The R stands for "Road Sport."
The list of R205 features includes many from the spec C model. STi's engineers focused on handling performance for the R205. They gave it STi tuned dampers, coil springs, flexible strut tower bar, flexible lower arm stiffener for the front suspension, and Bridgestone RE070 tires. These provide enhanced linear steering response and improved road-holding capability.
An exclusively designed turbocharger with ball bearings for the turbine axle, tuned Engine Control Unit, and sport muffler with reduced back pressure, the R205's horsepower and torque both increase: 316 horsepower and 319 lb-ft of torque.
Exterior modifications include a redesigned rear underspoiler and black rear spoiler, which improve aerodynamics. The car also receives exclusively designed 18-inch alloy wheels as well as specially colored front grille and side STI badge.
You can find more information about the spec C in Version 6.3.
STI TO INTRODUCE THE SUBARU IMPREZA "R205"
Tokyo, January 7, 2010 – Subaru Tecnica International Inc. (STI)1 is pleased to announce the launch of the Subaru Impreza "R205," a special performance version. The model will go on sale today through Subaru dealerships in Japan.
Based on the Impreza WRX STI, the R205 enhances the sheer driving performance it shares with former special performance models, such as the "S203" and the "S204," developed by STI. The R205 is the top performance model of the WRX STI. It features new and exclusive equipment and makes full use of specially designed features and performance parts of the "WRX STI spec C" model, the sporty performance model launched in 2009. The "R" of R205 stands for "Road Sport."
Most efforts focused on refining handling performance by adopting STI tuned dampers, coil springs, flexible type strut tower bar, flexible type lower arm stiffener of front suspension, and Bridgestone's specially designed RE070 tires. Thus the R205 ideally balances agile driving and confident drivability by enhancing a linear steering response and excellent road-holding capability. This is exactly the distinctive ride quality that STI is pursuing as its vehicle development theme, "strength and nimbleness" driving. The R205 offers enhanced total driving control not only in city driving on the road or winding road but also in sporty driving at the circuit.
In addition, STI carried out verification tests of selected performance parts of the R205 through the participation of the 2009 Nürburgring 24-hour race with an Impreza WRX STI. Making full use of this precious race-track experience at Nürburgring – in which any road condition is condensed -- STI successfully completed the model in order to offer sheer excitement and unique driving feeling as a distinctive "Road Sport Model."
The R205 delivers an increased 235kW (320PS) of maximum output and 431N.m (44.0kg.m) by adopting the exclusively designed turbocharger with ball bearings for the turbine axle bearing, specially tuned ECU (Engine Control Unit), and the sport muffler with lowered back pressure exhaust. SI-DRIVE (SUBARU Intelligent Drive) is also available to neatly suit driving style in any driving situation at driver's command.
The front under spoiler, newly developed rear under spoiler, and the black rear spoiler improve aerodynamics. Exclusively designed 18-inch alloy wheels, specially colored front grille and side STI garnish accentuate its uniqueness.
Major equipment of Subaru Impreza R205
- STI tuned inverted strut and coil springs for front suspension
- STI tuned damper and coil springs for rear suspension
- Brembo 6-pot brake caliper with STI silver logo and 18-inch grooved rotors for front brake
- Brembo 4-pot brake caliper with STI silver logo and 18-inch grooved rotors for rear brake
- STI designed 18-inch cast aluminum wheels
- Bridgestone specially designed "POTENZA RE070" (245/40 R18) tires
- STI designed flexible type front strut tower bar
- STI designed flexible type lower arm stiffener of front suspension
- R205 ECU (Engine Control Unit)
- R205 exhaust pipe
- R205 twin scroll turbocharger with flexible type ball bearings for the turbine axle bearing
- R205 sport muffler with lowered back pressure exhaust
- R205 front stabilizer
- R205 side sill plate
- R205 serial number plate
- R205 front grille (black)
- STI designed front under spoiler
- STI designed side STI garnish (black metallic)
- STI designed rear under spoiler
- STI designed rear spoiler (black)
- R205 badges on front grille and rear gate
- The planned production is limited to 400 units
- MSRP: 4,510,000 JP Yen (without tax)
- Engine type: Horizontally Opposed 4-cylinder DOHC 16-valve turbocharged engine
- Displacement: 1,994 cc
- Transmission: 6 speed manual transmission
- Maximum output: 235kW (320PS)/6,400 rpm
- Maximum torque: 431N.m (44.0kg.m)/4,000 rpm
- Overall length x width x height: 4,415 x 1,795 x 1,465 mm
1 Subaru Tecnica International Inc. (STI) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the maker of Subaru automobiles. The company manages motor sport activities of Subaru.